- Easco Commercial and Residential Heating and Air Specialists
(Mobile Users Click To Call)
Willis - Conroe
Montgomery - Bentwater
Woodlands - Spring - Oakridge
Since 2012, the HVAC industry is required to switch from using the commonly used R-22 refrigerant that has been deemed bad for the environment by the EPA. This change is per the Federal Clean Air Act. The recommended replacement refrigerant is R-410A, which has been deemed a safe refrigerant.
Now, there are a lot of units in circulation with the old refrigerant. The price of refrigerant has steadily increased over the years. This year we’ve seen the biggest price jumps yet, especially since R-22 will no longer be manufactured after 2020. Prices from our vendors are changing (increasing) daily. Some refer to it as liquid gold, no joke.
What Should You Do Now? If you own a system using R-22 refrigerant it is not necessary to change over if it is functioning properly, but get regular maintenance every spring and fall. Don’t Wait. Trust me, a spring or fall check-up is less costly to do than an emergency repair.
What Happens If Your System Develops A Leak? Changing over the system from R-22 to R-410A is not an easy task. What most people don’t know is the refrigerants are not compatible. You can’t just add in the new recommended refrigerant, R-410A. The switch must be done by professionals because not only does the refrigerant need to be changed, but parts and equipment must be changed as well.
Should you change your system? If your system is over 10 years old there are benefits to switching to a new system that utilizes R-410A:
- The confidence that you are now utilizing an environmentally safe system.
- There may be rebates and a deduction on your federal tax return.
- And my favorite–Reduced Electric Bill. How? When the system is installed correctly — by a well-trained, qualified service company like.. Easco (Really, I couldn’t help the shameful plug J). Seriously though, R-410A runs at a higher pressure, converting temperatures more efficiently, thereby reducing your energy costs and lowering your electricity bills.
So if any of these options are viable for you or if you have any questions, put your mind at ease and call EASCO… The Woodlands…281-367-2653..Conroe 936-539-2653 or Huntsville/Willis…936-295-3333.
Our HVAC technicians are certified to work with and handle both R-22 and R-410A. We offer annual maintenance agreements and tune-ups, as well as provide superior repair service.
We are licensed and regulated by The Texas Department Of Licensing & Regulation. TACL A965C & TECL26399
Improving The Air Inside Your Home
As we move toward Spring and the warmer months, we want to improve and regulate our comfort by turning on the air conditioner. But before you do that, some preventative measures goes a long way, with the long, hot summer months ahead. With an a/c system check the distribution and duct systems should be checked as well. Many respiratory conditions and diseases are spread through poorly maintained a/c systems. The Environmental Protection Agencysuggests that cleaning your air ducts professionally every year will reduce health problems, especially if there is visible mold or dust buildup.
How do these conditions occur? It starts with the proper or improper filtration of your central a/c system. With a visit to any hardware or big-box store, one doesn’t have to look far to see the numerous choices of air filters available. It is important to have clean and efficient equipment. But a filter with excessive pressure drop can actually harm the system. You may already be compromising air design if your system is noisy, or you have experienced leaks in your evaporator coil. When the installation of a clean filter changes the velocity noise levels there is a problem. An a/c professional can aid in helping you select the best filtration for your system.
Protect yourself from air contaminants and save energy!
- Ventilate: Open your windows as much as possible to allow the fresh air to reduce contaminants.
- Filtration: Change your unit’s air filters every month if using 1” throwaway filters.
- Purification: Consider purifying equipment if indoor air quality cannot be maintained by filtration and ventilation.
- Equipment: Consider investing in a new ac unit every 10-15 years to maximize efficiency. R-22 refrigerant is on its way out per Federal Clean Air Act.
- Thermostat: turn the unit up when no one is home. Consider Wi-Fi controls with geofencing for automatic control.
- Ventilate: Use your exhaust fan when cooking and showering to remove excessive humidity
Remember, it’s not the heat, but the humidity that leads to mold growth. High indoor humidity can lead to health and discomfort problems. Let Easco Air Conditioning and Heating be your solution to comfort!
Call us to inspect or clean your ducts, perform an a/c service check or do a 10-point electrical safety inspection to make sure all your electrical wiring is safe while we check your air conditioning and heating systems. It’s all about maintaining a comfort level of climate control that is healthy for you and your loved ones.
Put your mind at ease…Call EASCO!