Many homeowners tend to overlook or forget about, continually replacing the filters for their HVAC system. And yet, filters are one of the most important parts of your central heating and cooling system and forgetting about them can lead to a variety of problems and issues. At Easco Air Conditioning and Heating, we offer monthly maintenance plans so homeowners in The Woodlands, TX never have to worry about replacing the filter again; we’ll handle it for you!
Looking for other ways to improve HVAC performance? Be sure to schedule an AC tune-up before the summer months.
How Can a Dirty Air Filter Impact Your Home?
Filters need to be continually replaced in order to keep your HVAC system running smoothly. Because filters trap particulates and allergens, a clogged filter can lead to a variety of problems, such as:
- Poor Air Quality: Because a filter’s job is to catch and stop particulates and allergens such as pollen, dander, dust, and mold and mildew, a clogged filter is a filter that can no longer do its job, leading to a drop in your indoor air quality.
- Poor Heating: A clogged filter means that air cannot pass through it as easily, and when you’re relying on that forced air to heat your home, a clogged filter can result in uneven heating.
- Increased Energy Costs: Clogged filters cause your HVAC system to strain, and a system that’s straining is a system that has to work harder. This all results in using more energy, which means a higher cost on your utility bill.
You can see how a clogged or dirty filter can have a downhill effect on your entire HVAC system and therefore the comfort in your home.
When Should You Replace Your HVAC Filters?
One of the reasons many homeowners neglect the filter-changing task is because they’re unsure when they’re supposed to change the filter, or how often it needs to happen. This is complicated by the fact that it’s not a universal measurement: it can vary from house to house. Take a look at the guide below to help with some general ideas that might work for your home:
- Single Occupant Home: If you live alone, have no pets, and don’t experience breathing problems, change your filter every 6-8 months.
- People and Pets: If your home has more than one person and at least one pet, and/or you experience allergies, change the filter every 3-4 months.
- Pets and Breathing Problems: A home with more than one person, more than two pets, and someone with more serious breathing difficulties should change the filter every 4-6 weeks.
- Vacation Home: If you have a vacation home that isn’t occupied year-round, change the filter at least once a year.
These are some general guidelines you can follow to help figure out how frequently your filter should be changed. You can also work with our air conditioning contractors in The Woodlands, TX to get the ideal air filter replacement schedule. We check your existing system and analyze your home and family needs, ensuring optimum performance.
Worried that your air ducts may be the source of all that excess dust? Be sure to ask about our air duct cleaning services, and improve your indoor air quality today!
Call Us Today!
In general, changing filters is something that can be handled by most homeowners, but some HVAC systems have filters that are hard to reach for the average homeowner and using an incorrect filter, or one that’s the wrong size, will have no effect. The best way to handle these problems is to trust the task to a professional.
At Easco Air Conditioning and Heating, we offer a routine maintenance plan, which includes filter replacement to keep your HVAC system running smoothly and your home comfortable. And thanks to over 30 years of experience, you never have to worry about the wrong filter being used.